Saturday, March 6, 2010

German Pancake

I'm convinced that everyone knows this recipe, but I'm going to remind you how awesome it is anyway. German Pancakes (aka Dutch Babies) are a staple in my diet. When I don't feel like eating anything or when I can't summon up the energy to cook, the German Pancake is my go-to recipe despite the hour of the day. I LOVE them.

I believe that there is only one way to eat a German Pancake--with fresh lemon juice and a dusting of powdered sugar. I'm a purist. But I suppose you can do whatever you want with them (provided you try lemon and powdered sugar).

So anyway, from someone who has had approximately 238 German Pancakes in her life, here is how to make the perfect German Pancake:


1 TBS salted butter
3 eggs
1/2 C milk
1/2 C flour
1/4 C sugar
dash of salt
splash of vanilla

1. Heat oven to 425. While oven is heating place butter in a medium cast iron pan (or if you don't have one, a ceramic or glass pie dish works well too). Melt butter in the pan in the preheating oven until the butter is brown. Seriously, trust me on this one. Brown.

2. While butter is melting and caramelizing, mix up the batter. Beat the three eggs together with the milk using a wire whisk. Add the flour, sugar, salt and vanilla and whip it good for a minute.

3. Carefully pour the batter into the brown butter in the pan. Aim your batter so that the brown butter is nicely distributed.


4. Bake for 10 minutes. It's done when the pancake is high and puffy.


5. Serve immediately with fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar. I tried Meyer Lemons today and loved the interesting flavor and added sweetness.

(Serves 2)


TIPS:

* Making your pancake in a cast iron results in more even cooking and a shorter, flatter pancake with bubbles.
* Making your pancake in a pie dish will give it really high edges that will brown nicely while the center is perfectly cooked through. If you make your pancake in a pie dish, make sure you put your oven rack in the middle of the oven to give it lots of room to rise without hitting the heat element.
*The cast iron pancake is not superior to the pie dish pancake. I like to mix them up, depending on what I'm into.

No comments:

Post a Comment