Friday, January 16, 2009

Southern Pride Sweet Cornbread

There is nothing more annoying than crumbly cornbread. You can't get it out of the pan, you can't cut it in half to butter it. It's like picking up a handful of sand and trying to stuff it into your mouth.

I found this recipe today online and tried it tonight with chili. We ate the entire pan. (Granted, I did half the recipe, but still....it was good!!) It was sweet, moist, and slightly more dense than the regular stuff.

Southern Pride Sweet Cornbread

1 1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. honey (just add more sugar if you don't have honey)
2 eggs
1/2 cup softened butter
1 c. milk
1 c. water
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp salt

Grease 9 x 13 pan. Heat oven to 375. Mix sugar, butter, eggs, milk, honey, and water together. Mix dry ingredients. Blend wet and dry ingredients together. Mixture will be slightly lumpy. Pour into greased pan, bake until golden brown on top. Serve with butter.

3 comments:

  1. So.... any idea on an approximate time for baking? I am probably going to try it out right now, so I guess it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! It was great. It reminds me of the one I found awhile back, but that one has sour cream in it. I think I posted that recipe on my blog.

    ReplyDelete