Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Favorite Honey Wheat Bread

OK, if anyone is reading this, I know it's been nigh on a year since I last posted. So... I won't be surprised if this recipe reaches no one. But if you are here, hurrah! I hope you like bread.

I recently acquired a 7-qt bowl lift Kitchen Aid mixer. It is, in a word, spectacular. One of my first orders of business upon receipt of this mixer was to find and perfect a wheat bread recipe. This is it.

Honey Wheat Bread-- created through trial and error from a recipe found on Allrecipes.com

2 c. warm water
1 T. active dry yeast
1/2 c. honey
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. veg oil
~3 1/2 c. bread flour (give or take)

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey and mix well. Stir in the wheat flour, salt, and vegetable oil. Add bread flour gradually, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. For me and my conditions, this is about 3.5 cups, but it varies depending on the flour, humidity, elevation, etc.

If making by hand, knead the dough on a floured or oiled surface for 10-15 minutes. If you are using a stand mixer, you should only need to let it knead for 4-5 minutes.

When the dough is smooth and elastic, place in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat. Let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size, ~ 45 minutes.

Punch down the dough and shape into two loaves. Place in two greased loaf pans and let it rise again until the dough is 1-1.5 inches above the sides of the pan.

Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.

1 comment:

  1. Welp, six months after you put this up here, I am discovering it! Going to copy it down and try it this week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete