Monday, February 27, 2012

Sweet Potato Muffins

I bought a single sweet potato at Target the other day, with the plan to make it into sweet potato donuts that I saw online. After getting home, I decided I'd really rather not go to the trouble of frying anything. So I went on a search to find something else to use my sweet potato to make. I found this recipe for sweet potato muffins and thought I'd give it a shot. Little did I know (yes!) that these would be that good. They are super. I wish I had 12 more of them right now. Unfortunately, I just ate the last one with my breakfast. I am not even the biggest fan of sweet potatoes (probably why I was planning to turn mine into donuts), but these may have changed my mind. Not that they are hugely different than donuts, but yeah. You should try these.

Muffin ingredients:
1 c. old fashioned oatmeal
1 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 (15 oz) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed, OR 1 c. fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
3/4 c. light brown sugar
1/3 c. canola oil OR 1/3 c. applesauce
1/4 c. milk
1 egg
1 t. vanilla

Crumble topping:
1/4 c. old fashioned oatmeal
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1 T. margarine or butter, melted
1 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the oatmeal, flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in the sweet potatoes, brown sugar, oil/applesauce, milk, egg, and vanilla, until just moistened completely. To make the crumble topping, combine the oats, flour, and brown sugar. With a fork, mix in your melted butter and vanilla until crumbly. Fill your muffin tins with batter 3/4 full. Sprinkle the crumble topping on top, and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Original recipe found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment