Monday, February 7, 2011

Vanilla Pudding

It seems like all my favorite food blogs have posted their favorite pudding recipes within a week of one another. This seems odd as pudding is really low on the hierarchy of dessert foods. But something about it...the way it sounds exactly like it tastes...its unassuming nature. For the first time in my life, I actually craved vanilla pudding. In the end I chose Martha's recipe, and it was pudding perfection.

Note: Instead of a vanilla bean I used vanilla paste as a short cut. I added a little cream for extra richness.

Martha Stewart's Vanilla Pudding Recipe

• 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 1/2 cup sugar
• Pinch of coarse salt
• 2 large eggs
• 2 cups milk
• 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, seeds reserved
• 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 1 ounce milk chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
Directions
1. Prepare an ice bath; set aside. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl until smooth; whisk in cornstarch mixture.
2. Combine milk, remaining sugar, and vanilla-bean scrapings in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly pour milk into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
3. Return mixture to saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and transfer mixture to a medium heat-proof bowl.
4. Whisk in butter and vanilla extract. Set bowl in ice bath, stirring occasionally, until chilled. Serve pudding with chocolate shavings on top, if desired.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Vanilla Pudding - Martha Stewart Recipes

1 comment:

  1. This looks really tasty. When the bar is over (oh, how many times I say this per day), I think I will attempt it. I've always found puddings a little intimidating, but this looks fairly doable.

    ReplyDelete