Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Fabulous Sounding Soup

This one's for you, Lost in Translation!

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

2 cans (15 oz ea) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
2 med onions, finely chopped
1 t. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. cumin
3 c. vegetable broth
1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin
2 T. cider vinegar
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. bourbon, optional

Optional Garnishes:
sour cream
sliced green onions
roasted salted pumpkin seeds
shredded cheese

Place beans and tomatoes in a food processor/blender and blend to desired consistency. Set aside.
In a Dutch oven/soup pot, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic and cumin; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, vinegar, pepper, and bean mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in bourbon if desired. Garnish each serving with whatever you think sounds tasty.

Notes: I did not use bourbon. I never do. And it was delectable.
Oh, and there are a lot of recipes online for a black bean pumpkin soup, but the main one in circulation for some reason has ham in it. And beef broth. Ick. That just does not sound appetizing to me AT ALL. This recipe is from my Taste of Home: Healthy Cooking magazine, is meatless, and is also ridiculously good. The ingredients are ones I think I pretty much always have on hand, too. I highly recommend garnishing it with at least the green onions and cheese, and if you have some, the sour cream. I ate the last of it for lunch today by scooping it up in tortilla chips. Mmm!

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering what to do with my last can of pumpkin. This sounds awesome. It is indeed an awesome sounding soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I too had extra pumpkin in the pantry. It gives this soup a great thick texture and makes it extra healthy. Yay for pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks perfect! And no meat! Hooray.

    ReplyDelete