Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Swedish Apple Pie, or, Swedish Breakfast Cake

This recipe is actually called Swedish Apple Pie. But, I'm not sure why. To me, it is more of a crumbly apple cake, and even though the recipe specifically says to serve it warm, I found it more enjoyable the next morning for breakfast. So... either I'm weird, or this recipe was a bit off. Either way, it's super easy, very healthy, quite tasty, and a great way to use up some apples.

Swedish Apple Stuff

1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. white flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 egg
1/4 t. vanilla extract
2 medium tart apples, chopped (I used green)
3/4 c. chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted (I used untoasted walnuts)
confectioner's sugar, optional (I used a cinnamon/white sugar mixture)

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts.
Transfer to a 9" pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. (Or do as I did and sprinkle with cinnamon and regular sugar.) Serve warm. (Or, the next morning for breakfast.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment