Sunday, May 2, 2010

Snickerdoodle Scones

I had a hankering for some biscuits tonight. And just when I was thinking this blog had a biscuit recipe on it, I remembered this AMAZING scone recipe and I immediately shifted gears and made a batch of these delicious little things. They are still in the oven, so I have yet to find out if my cream of tartar substitute works out, (I'm praying it does!) but while I'm waiting I am going to share the recipe. (I know, I know, it's been AGES since I've posted on here. My humblest apologies.)

Snickerdoodle Scones
*from Baking Bites

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp butter, chilled and cut into pieces
6-8 tbsp milk or cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and sugar. Add butter to the flour mixture and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour, breaking the butter down into pieces smaller than a pea.
Combine milk and vanilla in a small dish and add about 6 tablespoons to flour mixture. Stir with a fork until dough comes together into a slightly sticky ball. If necessary, add additional tablespoon or two of milk. Dough should not be too wet. *Note: I ended up adding about 7 Tbsp. of milk.
Divide dough into six even balls.
In a small dish, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon. Roll each ball of scone dough in the cinnamon sugar mixture and flatten slightly on to prepared baking sheet.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until scones are set and edges begin to brown.
Cool on a wire rack before serving.

Makes 6 large scones.

These really are yummy. Snickerdoodles happen to be one of my most favorite cookies, and these are just the right amount of sweet. Yay for scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment