Monday, February 22, 2010

Cranberry Almond Granola

Well, we are officially out of cold cereal and I've banned myself from the grocery store. Luckily, Megan's granola kick reminded me that I can make a suitable replacement and I happened to have all the makings for this granola in my cupboard. Granola recipes are perfect for experimentation. If I make this one again, I'll try dried cherries and pumpkin seeds.

I modified a recipe from Bon Apetit to make this stuff. Mmmmmm....

2 C old-fashioned oats
2/3 C chopped almonds
1/3 C sweetened flaked coconut
1/3 C ground flax seed
1/3 C whole wheat flour

1/2 C frozen cranberry-raspberry juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 C brown sugar
2 TBS canola oil
1 tsp cinnamon

1 C dried sweetened cranberries


1. Stir together the first list of dry ingredients, set aside.

2. Heat the second list of ingredients over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved and the mix is a light syrup.

3. Pour the juice/brown sugar mix over the dry ingredients and stir until well coated.

4. Bake on a greased cookie sheet in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. Stir then add the dried cranberries. Cook for another 8-10 minutes until granola begins to dry.

5. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.

6. Eat with plain yogurt or by the handful.

No comments:

Post a Comment