Wednesday, September 29, 2010

By far my best granola

As I indicated the first time I posted a granola recipe, I have been experimenting with granola. But I haven't been posting those experiments. Probably because I'm lazy. The recipe I am posting today is by far my favorite. I've done several variations of it and it just keeps getting better. This last time, I let it bake for a bit longer, so it ended up crunchier and WOW. It's awesome. But I have to say it was good softer, too. I just love homemade granola.

Here is the basic recipe (with parentheticals explaining exactly how I made it this time), but feel free to modify by putting in different nuts or dried fruits.

Preheat oven: 300.

In a really big bowl, combine:
5 c. rolled oats (old fashioned, not quick)
2-3 c. raw nuts (I put in about 1 3/4 c. chopped walnuts)
1 c. raw sunflower nuts
3/4 c. flax seed (some use sesame seeds here)

In a saucepan, over low-medium heat, combine:
3/4 c. applesauce
1/3 c. maple syrup (or brown rice syrup, or barley malt syrup)
1/4 c. honey
2 T. canola oil
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
1 t. salt

I let this sauce mixture simmer for a little, while stirring continuously.
Pour the sauce over the oat mixture and stir well.
Spread granola mixture over large cookie sheet. If you don't want to have to do two separate batches, you can use two baking sheets and just rotate them when you take them out to stir the granola. I have done it both ways.
I usually set a timer initially for 10-15 minutes before I take out the pan to stir the mixture for the first time. You can do whatever time allotments you want, as long as your total baking time is about 30-40 minutes-- depending on how brown/crunchy you want yours to be.

After it's done, I put in a bag of dried cranberries.
Store in a big airtight container and enjoy it every morning. My guilty pleasure is putting a little half and half in after I fill my bowl with milk. Creamy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment