Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thai-style Black Bean Salad

Friends, friends, friends. Seriously. I made this salad tonight before mutual, let it refrigerate for about 2 hours (okay, 1 hour, because Mark got it out of the fridge at 7 and forgot about it...), then tried some, and I couldn't wait to post it on here for your viewing (& eating) pleasure. So good!! And so healthy. I got the brilliant idea to eat mine with tortilla chips and it was a perfect match. Here goes:

1 c. frozen corn
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery rib, sliced thin
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine
2 T. sesame oil
1 T. rice vinegar
1 T. lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. minced fresh gingerroot
1/2 t. salt

Modifications: I doubled it, but left out the celery and jalapeno, and only used 1 medium red pepper instead of 2 small ones.

Directions: heat frozen corn according to package directions. Add beans, onion, celery, peppers, and cilantro. In a small bowl whisk together the last 6 ingredients. Pour over bean mixture and mix to coat. Chill for at least one hour to allow the flavors to marry.

Hallelujah for this recipe. It really hit the spot for me tonight! I hope you will try it.

1 comment:

  1. I knew it was fate when I realized I happened to have all the ingredients (except the sesame oil). Made it for lunch on a dreary bar study day. I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete