Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holiday Magic

I just have to start off my recipe sharing with this delectable pumpkin bread. I got this recipe from my Aunt Jessie when I was still in high school. We'd visited her and I couldn't stop eating the stuff! It's SO good. Here goes:

Delicious Pumpkin Bread

5 eggs
1 c. vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
2 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
2 boxes (3 oz) cook & serve vanilla pudding 
2 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 325. Beat eggs. Add oil & pumpkin and beat. Combine remaining ingredients, gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Pour batter into 2 greased regular loaf pans, or 5 greased small loaf pans. (5" x 2.5" x 2") Bake for 70-80 minutes in 2 normal pans, or 50-55 minutes for 5 small pans. 

Notes:  I have never tried the 5 pan option, although I think that is what my aunt usually does. I also have wondered about trying to substitute some of the oil with applesauce, but have never tried it. The recipe originally called for 1 1/4 c. oil, but I found it was much too oily as a finished loaf. I reduced to 1 c. and it worked great. If anyone tries the applesauce option, let me know how it goes! Also, I find that my oven bakes faster than most recipes' suggested time-- so I put 70-80 minutes down instead of 75-80 as the recipe says. Good luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment